Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sir Ailbe Knight's Journey - Day 31, 32, 33, 34, 35

Happy Veterans Day 2014

5:45 AM - Wake up (Med time)
6:15 AM - Out for a walk/run for my morning break
6:45 AM - Breakfast for mom and me

Guess I've had a busy week working on the binding of the Christmas Tree Skirt.  I have to get it done by the 18th for my daughter can take it back to her sister's place.  So, I'll highlight my week...

Tuesday (November 11, 2014):  VETERANS DAY .. Today we had hotdogs and BINGO in the Multi Purpose Room.  That was loads of fun and I won $2 today.  Guess my lucky day wasn't there.  When I returned to my room I found a beautiful crocheted lap afghan.  I'll give it to my granddaughter, Sedona.  She was a little upset when I gave her sister the patriotic one last week.  So, she'll be happy to have one plus it has purple in it.  I took my normal nap in the afternoon.  Then dinner in the room tonight (holidays and weekends we eat in our rooms) which I couldn't eat due to my glucose running a little high after lunch.  So, I ate the garlic bread and salad for dinner.  My glucose levels was back to normal before going to bed.  After Ailbe's last call at 10 PM it was lights out for the both of us.

My new lap afghan
Wednesday (November 12, 2014): The first thing I did today was to order Ailbe's dog food online.  Found a great place called www.chewy.com.  The price of his food was great and I also ordered new poop bags.  Then after getting cleaned up and the splint back on it was off to see my surgeon.



Saw the Podiatry Surgeon today and NO CAST YET!! Reason: The incision on the bottom of my foot isn't completely closed up yet. So, x-rays in two more weeks and hopefully my fusion is healing plus the wound is closed. Then into a cast for about a month or so.... I also have gotten to 14 hrs without pain meds. Its mainly my foot swells and it starts throbbing. I'm shooting to get down to once a day on pain control. My ankle has very little pain which is a whole lot better then having daily pain for 17 yrs.

I got to lunch late today due to the fact I was at the doctors for over two hours.  I did get a new splint which is more comfortable then the one I've had for the last two weeks.   After lunch I took Ailbe out for a run/walk before taking my nap.  I got a good two hours sleep with no interruptions.

Tonight we had BINGO and I won $8 which gives me the funds for my outdoor dutch oven.  I can't wait till I can start cooking in it.  After his final outing at 10 PM we headed back to the room for lights out...

Thursday (November 13, 2014):  The new splint is working out and I'm having less pain using it.  I hope to go longer without any meds and hopefully get off the strong stuff.  We did a couple runs around the track today.  The weather is going to get colder and I don't know if I can take our longer walks outside.  All I can do is bundle up and hope for the best. 

I also picked up my dutch oven today (only had to pay $8 out of pocket) plus James' Christmas gift at the Retail Store.  It's also the 3 3/4 in height which is great for small chilli's, stews, etc... Great size for making deserts and breads.



The day consisted of my afternoon nap.  My naps are to get the swelling down in my leg.  I can't sit all day in the wheelchair or scooter because my leg still swells even with it propped up by a pillow.  I also finished one project and I'm still working on the tree skirt.  After the skirt is done I have to finish the owl and another tea cozy.  After I get all of that stuff done I can start crocheting some washcloths.  Maybe I'll have a few done for Christmas gifts.

After dinner I watched a couple shows before taking Ailbe out for his final outside walk. I also found another 12 inch 8 quart dutch oven at Walmart.com for only $50.  I ordered it and I now have the two size ovens I need to cook outdoors starting in the Spring.  So, I got two ovens for a grand total of $60 which is a savings of $138 (Lodge.com prices).  Then it was lights out at 10 PM.  I hate going to bed early, but I have to before the leg swells up.

Friday (November 14, 2014):  Today is shower day.... Oh how I do love getting one... Sounds crazy, but I'm only allowed two a week.  The rest of the week its only sponge baths. I spent most of the day watching my programs I missed all week plus work on the tree skirt.  There is so many curves on the skirt that its tricky to do.

I was so busy with the skirt that I didn't lay down this afternoon.  I wasn't tired and my leg felt great.  I'm also down to pain meds to about every 14 to 16 hrs.  Guess I'm getting to my goal to weaning off of the hard stuff.  After Ailbe went out for his final call I asked for some pain meds and watched another show before going to bed at 11:30 PM.

Saturday (November 15, 2014):  OMG!!! What a crappy night I had.  I had to ask for pain meds again and I had to wait till 2 AM to get any.  I was in so much pain that I couldn't even lay down.  So, I watched a program  and went back to bed.  OMG!!! the pain NEVER went away.  I was in tears and couldn't figure out what was going on.  So, I took the splint off and the problem was EXTREME swelling.  As soon as got out of the splint the pain went away and I fell asleep.  I learned my lesson.  Take your morning and afternoon naps or your in big trouble.  OH -- The weather was a brisk 21 degrees outside....... BURR!!!!!!

 This afternoon the Elks Lodge from Woodbridge, VA stopped by bearing toiletry gifts.  They also gave me a diet ginger ale and sugar free cookies.  They fell in love with Ailbe and he was in 7th Heaven enjoying all the extra attention.  After they left I took another nap till dinner.  I was exhausted.








I played it wise tonight and went to bed after Ailbe did his last outing at 10 PM... Night all ...




No comments:

Post a Comment